China is one of the most populated, unique, and massive countries in the world. Because of this, there are some crazy statistics and figures about China: here are the 7 craziest.
1) A new skyscraper is built in China every 5 days
It’s an understatement to say that buildings are everywhere in China. When you first go to a big city you will be amazed at the sheer size and scope of the buildings there. Of course, this is to accommodate the 1.3 billion people currently living in China.
2) All pandas in the world are on loan from China
The giant panda is an iconic animal found in China, however there are less than 2000 of them in the wild. China closely monitors their prized pandas, and zoos across the world have to gain special permission to enclose a panda.
3) China used more cement in 3 years than the US did in the 20th century
This goes off the whole building thing, it’s massive. Chinese cities are massive concrete jungles with millions of inhabitants. One of my favorite things to do in China is just to walk around a city and take in the size.
4) Just 7% of China actively practices religion, but more people go to church on Sunday in China than all of Europe
Even though Christianity is in the minority for religion in China, there are still churches. With China’s staggering population, it’s safe to say that you won’t be alone with your spiritual beliefs.
5) 30 million people in China live in caves
Living in a cave dates back thousands of years in China, and people continue to do it today. These cave dwellings are very intricate and entire villages can be built into the side of a cliff.
6) China uses 45 billion chopsticks per year
That’s billion with a b. Chopstick can be found everywhere, and 45 billion are needed to feed China’s immense population.
7) A Chinese town called Liquan is know for its blonde-haired residents
This town is thought to be a lost Roman colony. Some residents have roman features and blonde hair, and is quite an enigma that historians are trying to solve.